Translate

Monday 13 October 2014

The Time I Saw Derek Jeter's Last At Bat in Comerica Park

It was August 28, 2014. It was my 10th birthday. We were at the final Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees game of the 2014 MLB (Major League Baseball) season. It was in Comerica Park which was the Tigers home field. This was New York Yankee captain Derek Jeter's last game in Comerica Park because he was retiring this year. It was the top of the 9th and final inning of the game. The score was Tigers 2, Yankees 2. Jeter was up. At that point of the game, this was his 4th at bat, or AB. He was 0 for 3, or hasn't gotten a hit in his past 3 at bats. Phil Coke was pitching. There were 2 outs. He already had 2 strikes on the count. Coke threw the ball right towards the catcher Alex Avila's mitt. Jeter swung and missed.  If Jeter hit that ball, HOME RUN for the Yankees!And that would be his last at bat in Comerica Park. I jumped up into the air, thinking, 

"Yes! Phil Coke actually did it!”

I said to my Dad," That was AWESOME!!!! I thought Derek Jeter would hit that ball into the stands! But even if he did, we wouldn't get it. Wow! I still can't believe that the CAPTAIN of the Yankees didn't get a single hit. Now we know that Derek Jeter's career here ended HORRIBLY for him."

Later in the inning, there were men on 3rd, 2nd and 1st base (bases loaded). Alex Avila (the catcher) was up. There were 2 outs. Mariano Rivera was pitching. Avila swung. He hit the ball sky high. If Avila had missed, there would  be a 10th inning. From where I was sitting ( I was in the 3rd row right up against the net) it looked like a grand slam ( 4 run-home run) but it just bounced off the wall. So, Avila got an RBI (run batted in) double (got to 2nd base) to win the game, 3-2.  I was SO excited that I had just seen the Detroit Tigers emerge victorious against one of the best teams in the MLB! When the game was over, I was SO excited that the Yankees lost! Then again, they didn't have A-Rod. I was also really sad that Yankee #2 Derek Jeter was retiring. We could have at least traded somebody for him. I also thought,

“I am REALLY hungry.” 

So I asked Dad, “Can we get something to eat? I’m Hungry.”

So we got pizza (it was Little Caesars because the people who own Little Caesars and the Red Wings own the Tigers). Then, we got in the car and headed home. I thought,

“That was the best Detroit Tigers game that I’ve been to! And I’ve been actually on the field of Comerica Park (For the Bloomfield Baseball League) twice! And I’ve also been to the 2012 World Series against the San Francisco Giants Game 3 out of  7 (Although there were only 4 games played)!"

 I just remembered that in the 1st inning, my dad had said, 

"It's a great day for a baseball game, Kevyn." 

I thought, "It sure was." 

Just remember, even if you play on a REALLY GOOD sports team, at some point, you're going to lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment